Recipe by DitaVT
This version of Russia's national dish is made from fresh cabbage, rather than sauerkraut.
- 1 small turnip
- 2 carrots
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 1 white cabbage
- 5 cups vegetable stock
- 1 sharp eating apple, cored, peeled, and chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh dill
- 2 teaspoons pickled cucumber juice or 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- fresh herb, to garnish
- sour cream, to serve (optional)
- black bread, to serve (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut the turnips and carrots into matchstick strips. Melt the butter (or just add the oil) in a large pan and fry the turnip, carrot, onion and celery for 10 minutes.
- Shred the cabbage, and add to the pan with the stock, apple, bay leaves and dill and bring to the boil. Cover and simmer for 40 minutes or until the vegetables are really tender.
- Remove the bay leaves, then stir in the pickled cucumber juice or lemon juice and season with plenty of salt and pepper. Serve hot, garnished with fresh herbs and accompanied by sour cream and black bread.