Recipe by Vicki in CT
Excellent fresh tasting pasta with no heavy cream sauce. I have also made with whole wheat pasta with excellent results. From the Joy of Pasta by Joe Famularo and Louise Imperiale. Serve with valpolicella or other dry medium bodied red wine.
Top Review by Denibates
Have to admit I used fresh spinach instead of spinach pasta...I had a couple of pounds of fresh spinach and a bunch of broccoli and I was looking for a veggie dish to go with some stuffed pork chops. It was so so good without the pasta, so I can only imagine how much better it would be with it! Thanks.
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 large garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 large carrot, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon capers, drained
- 3⁄4 cup beef stock (or broth, can sub veg stock to make vegetarian)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (to taste)
- 1⁄2 bunch broccoli, cut into 1-inch lengths (steamed for 3-5 minutes and drained)
- 1⁄2 lb spinach fusilli (or plain fusilli)
- 1⁄2 cup romano cheese, freshly grated
Directions See How It's Made
- In medium skillet heat olive oil. Saute onion and garlic 2 minutes. Add carrot and capers and cook 1 minute longer.
- Add beef stock and pepper flakes. Cook slowly for five minutes.
- Meanwhile cook fusilli al dente. Drain and return to pan.
- Stir in sauce and broccoli into pasta and HALF the cheese.
- Serve hot topped with the remaining cheese.