Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is a very tasty dish I made this up last night when I couldn't find a recipe for what I wanted. I just used what I had on hand. I food-processed 3 small leftover rolls to make the bread crumbs. My husband, 21 year-old veggie-picky son, and I loved it. Tastes like gourmet-restaurant fare.
- 3 cups fresh broccoli, washed and trimmed into bite-sized pieces
- cooking spray
- 1⁄8 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1⁄8 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 -3 tablespoons sour cream
- 3⁄4-1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup fresh breadcrumb
- Steam fresh broccoli to “tender-crisp”, 5-6 minutes. Spray shallow 1 1/2 qt casserole dish with cooking spray. Place steamed broccoli in casserole dish. Sprinkle Parmesan and Cheddar cheeses over evenly.
- In separate bowl, stir together sour cream, milk, and cornstarch until smooth. Pour over broccoli-cheese mixture.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle bread crumbs.
- Bake in 375-degree oven until milk mixture is thickened and crumbs are golden brown, about 20-30 minutes. Cover after 10-15 minutes if needed to prevent over-browning of crumbs.
- This is not rocket science! You can adjust amounts, oven temperature, and baking-time as needed.
I've been looking for a b. au gratin that it isn't overly rich and decided to make this. I liked that I didn't have to cook the sauce first! This took me longer to cook (my oven rack was set on lower middle) but no matter. I used a wheat hamburger bun for the bread crumbs and they were perfect! I served this with turkey meatloaf and my dh had two helpings (he is not a cooked broccoli fan!). I liked the simplicity of the recipe and that it had a lot of flavor, without being too rich, just what I was looking for! Thanks for posting, MommyOh- Roxygirl