Recipe by SarahTyler
This soup is easy comfort food using fresh (not frozen) broccoli and real cheddar cheese. It takes about half an hour to forty minutes to make, but it's so much better than any soup from a can. I like to leave some of the broccoli in large chunks rather than pureeing it all.
- 1 large head of broccoli
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 lb sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Chop broccoli into coarse chunks. You can use stems; just be sure to peel the tough outer layer.
- Melt butter in a large sauce pan or dutch oven. Add the onion and saute about 5 minutes, until soft.
- Add the flour and saute one minute longer mixing thoroughly with the butter and onions.
- Add the chicken broth, broccoli, thyme and lemon juice and bring to a boil. Bring the heat down and simmer for about 20 minutes, until the broccoli is tender.
- Puree the soup with an immersion blender (or in small batches in a food processor).
- After pureeing, add the milk and bring the soup to a simmer.
- Sprinkle half of the cheddar cheese into the soup and stir until smooth. Keep the heat on low to prevent curdling.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and top with remaining shredded cheese.