Recipe by MarthaStewartWanabe
This is my new favorite frozen summertime treat. This recipe is easy, requires no cooking and cooling of the blueberries and yields a smooth and velvety sherbet packed with fresh, natural blueberry flavor. "Preparation Time" includes time needed to churn in an ice cream maker as well as time needed to cure in the freezer.
Directions See How It's Made
- Make sure your ice cream maker's freezer bowl is frozen solid (you don't want to hear even the slightest sloshing noise when shaken). Keep in the freezer until absolutely ready to pour mixture into the machine.
- Into a 5-quart capacity food processor, using the chopping blade, place blueberries, sugar and lemon juice. Puree until smooth and foamy. Then pour in heavy whipping cream and pulse 3-5 times until mixture thickens slightly.
- Using a fine wire mesh sieve, strain for a smoother consistency. If you don't mind a naturally pulpy texture, don't worry about straining.
- Place mixture into the freezer tub of your ice cream maker and follow the manufacturers instructions for freezing. It took only 15 minutes for my machine to churn and freeze.
- With a spatula, turn sherbet into a freezer container. Freeze for 3-5 hours or until desired texture.