Recipe by Leslie in Texas
When fresh blueberries are in season give this a try- you'll be glad you did! From a June 2001 article that featured fresh blueberries in the food section of the Houston Chronicle.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs fresh blueberries
- 4 -5 tablespoons sugar
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour, plus
- 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled and cut into bits
- 1⁄2 cup well-shaken buttermilk
Directions See How It's Made
- In a 9 inch glass or ceramic pie plate, toss blueberries, 2 to 4 tablespoons sugar, 1 tablespoon flour, lemon juice, and almond extract; let stand abut 30 minutes, or until mixture is juicy.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a bowl, sift together remaining flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and 1 teaspoon sugar.
- Blend in butter with fingertips or pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Stir in buttermilk using a fork, until just combined.
- Drop rounded tablespoons of dough over filling, leaving spaces for topping to expand.
- Sprinkle with remaining sugar.
- Back on center rack of oven until topping is golden, about 30 minutes.
- Cool slightly and serve warm. Especially good with a scoop of Blue Bell Homemade Vanilla ice cream!