Prep 25 mins
Cook 35 mins
I love fresh blueberries and this recipe highlights them well.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- powdered sugar
- In a mixing bowl, add the flour and brown sugar; stir to mix.
- With a pastry blender, cut in the butter until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Press 1 1/3 cup of mixture onto the bottom of an ungreased 8-inch square baking pan.
- In another bowl, mix together the cinnamon, baking soda, and salt.
- Add the remaining crumb mixture, sour cream, egg, and vanilla; stir to blend.
- Add blueberries; stir to combine.
- Spoon filling mixture evenly over the crust.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes.
- Cool in the pan.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar.
- Cut into bars and serve.
This is an incredibly versatile recipe that is easy to make and has an excellent flavor. I baked the blueberry bars while we ate dinner and served them hot with vanilla icecream. Next time I think they'll make a good breakfast.
I made this using a pint of blueberries because I wasn't sure if I would use the other cup of my pint in something else. I put it in a 7X11 pan. Fabulous! So easy to make that I read the recipe 3 times to make sure I wasn't forgetting something. The farmers at my table gave it an A++ so for me, that equals 5 stars! Thanks for sharing.
These turned out a little softer and cake like than I expected. There also wasn't a distinct taste difference between the bottom layer and the top layer. But overall, these were very pleasant and light tasting, a great way to use up blueberries!