Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
This pie is not as sweet as some. I don't like fruit pies sickeningly sweet (but just a tad on the tart side), but if you like yours sweeter, just increase the sugar. You might also want to consider your berries before adding the sugar- taste one first and see. Early season ones are often not as sweet and may need a bit more sugar. Be sure to watch the crust on your pie and cover it with foil or a guard if it starts to brown excessively.
- 1 pastry for a double-crust 9-inch pie
- 5 cups fresh blackberries
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 egg white
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar or 2 tablespoons turbinado sugar
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Place half the rolled pastry crust into the bottom of a 9-inch glass pie plate.
- Rinse berries and allow to drain (make sure they are dry when you use them- you can blot them with paper toweling if needed).
- Mix berries with the cornstarch and 1/2 cup sugar until all the sugar and cornstarch is taken up.
- Place coated berries on the bottom crust in the pie plate.
- Top berries with rolled pastry crust.
- Entwine the upper and lower edges of crust and crimp to form a seal.
- Beat egg white until frothy in a small dish.
- Using a brush, coat top crust lightly with egg white.
- Sprinkle crust with 2 tbsp sugar.
- Using a sharp knife, cut several vents in the top crust.
- Place pie plate on a baking or cookie sheet and bake in preheated oven for 35-40 minutes.
- Watch the crust on the pie that it doesn't brown too much--cover with foil or a crust guard if necessary.
- Cool pie thoroughly on a wire rack before serving.
We had a ton of blackberries and I needed to use them... I found this recipe and gave it a try (never had blackberry pie before). It was really good! A little tart, a little sweet... I subbed Splenda for the sugar, and it worked fine (but wasn't as syrupy as pie filling usually is). I used with recipe #13619.
This is a wonderful blackberry pie recipe. It enhances the taste of the berries without hiding the delecious taste... this is the only blackberry pie recipe I use anymore and they are my families (and extended families) favorite! Thank you for sharing!
This was perfect. Hot blackberry pie on a cool day. My mom came over just to have some.