Prep 30 mins
Cook 24 mins
Using up the last of my summer berries.
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) package yellow cake mix
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1⁄2 cup fresh-squeezed lemon juice
- 2 cups fresh blackberries (or frozen, thawed)
- Preheat oven to 350° ; position oven rack in middle of oven; spray the bottom only of an 13 x 9 inch metal baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a big bowl, add the cake mix, butter, and egg; blend with an electric mixer set on low speed until all dry ingredients are moistened and mixture is well blended and crumbly.
- Press half of mixture evenly into bottom of prepared pan; bake 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in another bowl, whisk together lemon zest and condensed milk with the lemon juice; stir until blended.
- Place blackberries evenly over surface of partially baked crust; pour lemon mixture over blackberries evenly as possible; sprinkle with reserved crumb mixture.
- Bake 20-24 minutes or until topping is golden brown.
- Transfer to wire rack and cool completely.
- Cut into bars; store in refrigerator.