Prep 1 hr 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
- 10 medium ripe peaches, peeled, pitted, and chopped
- 1 tahitian vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- 1⁄2 cup sugar (to taste)
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1⁄3 cup buttermilk, plus
- 1 tablespoon buttermilk
- 2 pints blackberries
- In a bowl, combine the peaches and vanilla bean and enough sugar to sweeten.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 8 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°; have ready 8 ramekins, about 5 inches in diameter.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with paddle attachment, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt, and whisk to combine.
- Add in the butter and mix on medium-high speed, until the mixture is just crumbly.
- Add in buttermilk and mix until combined.
- Remove the vanilla bean from the peaches and discard it.
- Fill each ramekin with peaches and blackberries, distributing the fruit equally.
- Top each with batter, crumbling it over the fruit.
- Bake for about 35 minutes, until the crust is golden brown and the fruit is bubbling.
- Cool slightly on wire racks and serve warm with a scoop of ice cream—vanilla bean ice cream is recommended.