Prep 45 mins
Cook 5 hrs 30 mins
The hardest part is pitting the cherries. Cover up because you will get splattered.
- 4 cups pitted fresh bing cherries
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 tablespoons dry pectin
- Add the cherries, lemon juice, and salt to a slow cooker; stir gently; let stand for 15 minutes to dissolve the sugar.
- Sprinkle with pectin.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 2 1/2 hours, stirring twice during cooking.
- Remove the lid, turn the cooker to HIGH and cook for 2-3 hours more, until the jam reaches your desired consistency.
- Ladle the warm jam into clean spring-top glass jars (or use screw tops with new lids); let stand to cool.
- Store, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 2 months.
- Or spoon into small plastic storage containers and freeze for up to 2 months.
This Jam is delicious! I had boxes of cherries and didn't know what to do with them once some of them were beginning to wrinkle. This recipe is perfect and I'm already sharing it with many friends that have requested the recipe. Thanks!