Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs
First you brown it beautifully, then you roast it with vegetables - carrots, onions, tomatoes and celery. Serve with golden brown potatoes and fragrant gravy.
- 6 -7 lbs fresh beef brisket
- 2 medium onions
- 2 medium carrots
- 2 stalks celery
- 1 large tomatoes
- 2 1⁄2 lbs new potatoes, scrubbed
- 1⁄3 cup butter or 1⁄3 cup margarine
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Sprinkle beef brisket with salt and pepper; place in large skillet.
- Brown meat, on fat side only, over high heat.
- While meat is browning, prepare vegetables: Slice onions very thin.
- Pare carrots; cut carrots and celery in 1-inch pieces.
- Pour boiling water over tomato in bowl; let stand several minutes.
- Holding tomato on fork, peel skin with sharp knife.
- Cut tomato in chunks.
- When meat is well browned, remove it from skillet to a large Dutch oven.
- Add onion to skillet; sauté until golden.
- Spoon onion over meat; surround with carrot, celery, tomato.
- Add 1 cup water.
- Roast, covered, 2 1/2 to 3 hours, until meat is tender.
- Prepare potatoes during LAST hour: Place in saucepan; add boiling water to measure 2 inches and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Bring potatoes to boiling; boil gently, covered, 20 minutes.
- Drain; cool.
- Peel while warm, using a sharp knife.
- Set peeled potatoes on piece of paper towel, and salt them lightly; turn with fingers to salt all over.
- Melt butter in large skillet over moderate heat.
- Add potatoes; cook 5 minutes; then turn carefully with broad spatula to brown all overseveral minutes.
- Remove brisket to warm serving platter; surround with browned potatoes; keep warm.
- Make gravy: Strain pan juices to remove vegetables.
- Press vegetables through strainer.
- Skim fat from pan juices.
- In small bowl, combine flour with 1/4 cup water; stir until smooth.
- Add to pan juices, along with pureed vegetables.
- Bring to boiling, stirring until thickened.
- Serve with brisket.
- Serves 10 to 12.
- McCalls Cooking School.