Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
There's nothing better than freshly made salad dressings. This one is from my favorite magazine, Cook's Illustrated. Note: Heating fresh herbs in olive oil creates an herb-infused oil that offers a good foundation for the dressing.
- 4 cups olive oil
- 2 cups chopped fresh basil
- 1 shallot, peeled
- 1 clove garlic clove, peeled
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- Heat 1/4 cup oil with 1 cup basil in medium saucepan over medium heat until basil turns bright green and small bubbles appear, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Turn off heat and steep 5 minutes.
- Process shallot, garlic, vinegar, water, salt, pepper, and mustard in blender until garlic and shallot are finely chopped, about 15 seconds.
- With blender running, slowly add remaining oil and steeped basil oil and continue to process until dressing is smooth and emulsified, about 15 seconds.
- Pack remaining basil into blender and process until dressing is smooth, about 15 seconds.
- Dressing can be refrigerated in airtight container for up to 3 days.
What a delightful vinaigrette. The flavors are light enough to go on any type of salad. Had it tonight with mixed salad greens, fresh apple slices, and feta cheese. It was just right. Thanks for posting this great recipe. Made for ZWT4.
This is a wonderful vinaigrette! The flavors meld together just great. The combination of spices is perfect for our tastes. Made for ZWT4 for the Tastebud Tickling Travellers.