A yummy salad which crunchy veggies, chewy barley, and a tangy dressing.
Make and share this Fresh Barley Salad recipe from Food.com.
- 236.59 ml pot barley, uncooked
- 473.18 ml water
- 236.59 ml vegetables
- 4.92 ml dried oregano
- 9.85 ml dried basil
- 29.58 ml white wine vinegar
- 14.79 ml yogurt
- 14.79 ml Dijon mustard
- 14.79 ml agave nectar
- 4.92 ml onion powder
- 4.92 ml garlic powder
- 59.14 ml olive oil
- salt and pepper
- any of your favorite vegetables (i used red bell pepper, sauteed zucchini, sauteed mushroom, cucumber, peas, red onion and tomato)
- parmesan cheese
- chopped mint
- Cook rinsed barley in water, stock, and dried herbs for 30-40 minutes or until water is absorbed. If barley is too chewy add more water and cook longer, however barley shouldn't be mushy.
- Meanwhile chop and/or saute and vegetables you want to use in your salad.
- Mix together vinegar, yogurt, mustard, agave, powders, and olive oil to form a dressing. Add more or less vinegar and olive oil to reach a desired consistency.
- When barley is cooked combine with veggies and top with dressing. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve garnished with parmasan, mint, and/or olives.
This made a terrific salad! I used more than a cup of veggies - about 1/2 green pepper, a small tomato, a small onion. I used garlic salt in the dressing. I will be making this many more times! Made for PAC Spring 2013
Great idea to build on! I made this last night for a pot luck tonight. I like the concept of barley as a salad and wanted to use up some barley I had around. I made with carrots, cucumbers,tomatoes, white and green onions and parsley and did use mizithra cheese. I like the dressing and substituted sour cream for the plain yogurt because I couldn't find it at the grocery store. Thanks for posting, Pamplemoussee, I enjoyed this.