1/10 Photos of Fresh Baguette
3 hrs 30 mins
Make your kitchen into your own personal boulangerie with this fantastic bread recipe!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a large bowl sprinkle yeast and sugar over warm water and let stand until foamy, about 5 minutes.
- 2With a wooden spoon stir in 2 cups flour until combined.
- 3Stir in salt and 2 cups of remaining flour until mixture forms a stiff dough.
- 4On a lightly floured surface knead dough with lightly floured hands 8 minutes, or until smooth and elastic, kneading in enough of remaining 1/2 cup flour to keep dough from sticking.
- 5Transfer dough to a lightly oiled deep bowl, turning to coat with oil, and let rise, bowl covered with plastic wrap, until doubled in bulk, about 1 1/2 hours.
- 6Preheat oven to 475-500°F (My oven does best with 475°, but it runs hot).
- 7Punch down dough and form into a long slender loaf about 21 inches long and 3 inches wide.
- 8You can also form individual mini-loaves.
- 9Put loaf diagonally on a lightly greased large or 17 x 14-inch baking sheet and let rise, uncovered, about 30 minutes.
- 10(Baguette may be made up to this point 4 hours ahead and chilled.) Make 3 or 4 diagonal slashes on loaf with a razor and lightly brush top with cool water.
- 11Bake loaf in middle of oven 30 minutes, or until golden and sounds hollow when tapped, and transfer to a rack to cool.
- 12Notes: For a chewy interior and perfect, crusty exterior, place a dutch oven filled with water in oven as it preheats for about an hour.
- 13The humid enviroment will ensure the texture comes out right.
- 14Baking stones don't hurt either.
- 15If you don't want to put water into the oven, you can use a spray mister to keep the enviroment moist as it cooks.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fresh Baguette
Serving Size: 1 (882 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1859.2
- Calories from Fat 48
- Total Fat 5.4 g
- Saturated Fat 0.8 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 5838.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 388.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 15.4 g
- Sugars 5.5 g
- Protein 54.5 g