Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
I haven't tried this yet, but it came to my inbox today and I wanted to share it. It looks like a creamy and delicious soup, and I didn't even have to modify much to make it dairy-free. I love the additions of yogurt, lemon, and parmesan cheese! It's from Nanook at Allrecipes.com.
- 1 lb fresh asparagus
- 3⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon soy margarine or 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch ground black pepper
- 1 1⁄4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup plain soymilk or 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup plain soy yogurt or 1⁄2 cup yogurt
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup grated vegan parmesan cheese or 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
- Place asparagus and onion in a saucepan with 1/2 cup vegetable broth.
- Bring the broth to a boil, reduce heat and let simmer until the vegetables are tender.
- Reserve a few asparagus tips for garnish; place remaining vegetable mixture in an electric blender and puree until smooth.
- Melt margarine in the pan that was used for simmering the asparagus and onions.
- Stir while sprinkling flour, salt, and pepper into the margarine; do not let the flour brown.
- Allow the mixture to cook only 2 minutes.
- Stir in remaining 1 1/4 cups vegetable broth and increase the heat; continue stirring until the mixture comes to a boil.
- Stir the vegetable puree and soy milk into the saucepan; whisk soy yogurt into the mixture, followed by lemon juice.
- Stir until heated through, then ladle into bowls.
- Garnish with reserved asparagus tips; sprinkle with Parmesan soy cheese if desired.
- Note: Some reviewers also recommended using vanilla soy milk and/or yogurt if you like your soups sweet!
Oh, this was very good! I had a dinner party for 11 of my friends, and I wasn't expecting it to be well received (the chances of a 21 year old guy digging asparagus soup don't seem good). But everyone loved it!! Great texture, and suprisingly no too asparagus-y
This is a great spring soup recipe! I'd just made a batch of homemade yogurt, and was looking for a way to use up last night's steamed asparagus. This made a creamy, yet light soup. I'm going to try what's leftover chilled--bet it will be quite refreshing! Thanks for sharing!
Excellent - delicious, creamy soup with a wonderful slightly tangy flavor.I think the yogurt makes all the difference here. I love asparagus soups, and have tried many - this version is great. Note: I used the whole milk options, although I used fat free plain yogurt. I also carefully measured the salt, and it was the perfect amount.