Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
A wonderful rich soup full of flavour which make you feel an angel has kissed your tongue. Stock cubes can be used if needed.
- 1 lb fresh asparagus
- white pepper
- 2 1⁄2 pints chicken stock
- 2 ounces butter
- 1 small chopped onion
- 2 ounces plain flour
- 1 egg yolk
- 1⁄4 pint double cream
- Cut off the asparagus tips & put them in a saucepan, add salted water to cover, bring to the boil and simmer for about 5 minutes, drain and set aside.
- Slice the asparagus stalks and cook in 1 pint of stock for about 15 minutes or until tender. Puree in a blender or food processor, or rub through a sieve into a large bowl or jug.
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan then add the onion and fry gently for about 10 minutes until soft but not coloured. Stir in the flour and cook for 1 minute stiring constantly.
- Gradually add the remaining stock and stir until the mixture thickens, then add the puree with salt and pepper to taste. Reheat.
- In a small bowl, mix the egg yolk with the cream, stir in a little of the hot soup into the mixture, mix well, then add the contents of the bowl to the soup, stir over a low heat until the mixture thickens slightly. Add the reserve asparagus tips and heat through without boiling. Serve at once.