Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 min
This is a delicious and easy Chinese side dish that can be prepared ahead. Recipe is originally from the Time-Life cooking series, Foods of the World, The Cooking of China, and is a favorite of ours.
- Bend each asparagus stalk back until the tough root end snaps away.
- Discard the ends.
- Wash the stalks and slice diagonally into bite- sized pieces.
- Blanch the pieces in boiling water for 1 minute, drain at once, and run cold water over the asparagus to stop their cooking.
- Spread them on a double thickness of paper towels and pat them dry.
- In a container large enough to hold the asparagus, combine the remaining ingredients and mix well until the sugar is completely dissolved.
- Add the asparagus and toss to coat each piece with the dressing.
- Chill slightly--no more than 2-3 hours--before serving.
- May be served chilled or at room temperature.
Delectable! I left the spears whole and served them as messy finger food. We loved it.