Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
An elegant side dish made from fresh asparagus spears and homemade sauce (no canned soup). Adapted from "Best of the Best of Georgia." If you are using green asparagus, you will only need to peel the bigger stalks; if using white asparagus, definitely peel them all.
- 2 lbs fresh asparagus spears, washed,peeled,ends snapped off
- 3 green onions with tops, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1⁄3 cup dry vermouth
- 1⁄3 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1⁄4 cup seasoned bread crumbs, as needed
- Cook asparagus spears in boiling water for about 5 minutes, or until fork tender but not mushy (bigger stalks may take longer); drain well.
- Combine remaining ingredients, except bread crumbs.
- Combine sauce with asparagus and spread into a baking dish.
- Sprinkle bread crumbs over the top- enough to thoroughly dust the surface.
- Bake, uncovered, in a preheated 400F oven about 15 minutes or until cooked through.