Prep 2 hrs
Cook 40 mins
Freshly grated Parmesan cheese can be substituted for the asiago cheese, watch your salt amount as the prosciutto is salty. Plan ahead this needs to chill for a minimum of 1 hour before baking. Prep time includes 1 hour chilling time.
- 1 lb fresh asparagus, tough ends removed discarded (cut the asparagus into about 2-inch pieces)
- 1 loaf bread (use a crusty French or Italian bread cut into 1-inch cubes)
- 4 ounces prosciutto (thinly-sliced and cut into 1/2-inch strips)
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded asiago cheese
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh chives
- 6 large eggs
- 3 1⁄2 cups full-fat milk
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- salt and black pepper
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper (optional)
- Butter a 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- Cook the asparagus in boiling water (or steam) for about 2-3 minutes; drain and plunge into ice water or very cold water; drain and pat dry with paper towels.
- Spread half of the cubed bread into the baking dish.
- Top with half of the prosciutto, then half of the cooked asparagus, half of the cheese and half of the chives.
- Layer remaining bread cubes on top, followed by remaining prosciutto, asparagus, cheese and then chives.
- In a bowl whisk eggs, milk, lemon peel, salt, pepper and pinch cayenne (if using) until well blended; pour evenly over the layered ingredients.
- Cover with plastic wrap and chill at least 1 hour.
- Bake in a 350°F oven for about 40-50 minutes.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
This is excellent! I followed the recipe exactly. Asparagus and prosciutto just belong together! Lovely recipe! Thanks!