Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
Freshly grated Parmesan cheese can be substituted for the asiago cheese, watch your salt amount as the prosciutto is salty. Plan ahead this needs to chill for a minimum of 1 hour before baking. Prep time includes 1 hour chilling time.
- 1 lb fresh asparagus, tough ends removed discarded (cut the asparagus into about 2-inch pieces)
- 1 loaf bread (use a crusty French or Italian bread cut into 1-inch cubes)
- 4 ounces prosciutto (thinly-sliced and cut into 1/2-inch strips)
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded asiago cheese
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh chives
- 6 large eggs
- 3 1⁄2 cups full-fat milk
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- salt and black pepper
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Butter a 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- Cook the asparagus in boiling water (or steam) for about 2-3 minutes; drain and plunge into ice water or very cold water; drain and pat dry with paper towels.
- Spread half of the cubed bread into the baking dish.
- Top with half of the prosciutto, then half of the cooked asparagus, half of the cheese and half of the chives.
- Layer remaining bread cubes on top, followed by remaining prosciutto, asparagus, cheese and then chives.
- In a bowl whisk eggs, milk, lemon peel, salt, pepper and pinch cayenne (if using) until well blended; pour evenly over the layered ingredients.
- Cover with plastic wrap and chill at least 1 hour.
- Bake in a 350°F oven for about 40-50 minutes.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.