Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 30 mins
Our neighbor has 2 giant apricot trees and so we are always loaded with them. I eat as many as I can fresh and then this is on tap. Source: Martha Stewart
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature, plus 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- 3 ounces whole blanched almonds (about 3/4 cup)
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 tablespoons blanched sliced almonds
- 1⁄2 cup plus 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons almond flour or 6 tablespoons very finely ground blanched almonds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 6 tablespoons half-and-half
- 10 -12 fresh apricots, halved and stones removed
- confectioners' sugar, for dusting
- To make the crust: Preheat oven to 350 degrees.with rack in center. Brush and 8-by-11-inch tart pan with removable bottom with butter.
- Place the almonds and 1 tablespoon sugar in the bowl of a food processor, and pulse until the almonds are finely ground. Add the butter, and process until combined. Pulse in the flour, the remaining 1 tablespoon plus 1/4 teaspoon sugar, and the almond extract until combined.
- Transfer the crumbly dough to the prepared pan. Using your fingers, pat out dough evenly to make a thin crust along the bottom and up the sides of the pan. Chill the crust 30 minutes.
- Bake crust until golden, 20 to 25 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- To make the filling and assemble the tart: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spread the almond slices in a single layer in a rimmed baking sheet; toast in oven until golden, about 10 minutes. Shake the pan halfway through baking to make sure the nuts toast evenly. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine 1/2 cup granulated sugar, salt, all-purpose flour, almond flour, and baking powder; whisk together. Whisk in the eggs, melted butter, and half-and-half until well combined. Pour the filling into the baked crust.
- Arrange the apricot halves, cut-sides up, on top of the filling, packing the fruit closely together. Sprinkle the tops of the apricots with the remaining 1 tablespoon granulated sugar. Sprinkle the toasted almonds over the entire tart.
- Bake the tart until the filling is puffed and golden brown, 60 to 70 minutes, rotating the pan after 30 minutes for even browning. Transfer tart to a wire rack to cool. Unmold, and sprinkle with confectioners' sugar just before serving.