Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Apple Coffee Cake without fat. From NYTimes.com. Originally published with Eating Well By Marian Burros, February 5, 1992
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mace or 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon orange rind, grated
- 1 1⁄2 cups nonfat plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup nonfat milk
- 1 large apple, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 2 -3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- oil, to grease the pan
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Sift flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, mace and salt into a large bowl. Add the remaining ingredients and blend by hand until well mixed.
- Spoon into a greased 9-by-13-inch baking pan and bake 35 to 40 minutes, until a knife inserted in center comes out clean. Serve warm or cool. YIELD 15 servings
- NOTE - Nutrition analysis per serving: 92 calories; 0.1 gram fat; 0.5 milligram cholesterol; 147 milligrams sodium; 1.9 grams protein; 21 grams carbohydrates.
Hmm, pretty good for such a low-in-fat recipe! I underbaked it unfortunately, so it was a very dense, wet cake. I kept it in the refrigerator and we still really enjoyed it!
This coffee cake was so easy to make. Also used greek 0 fat yogurt.
Tasty, light & fluffy!