Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
This is a wonderful apple cake with a different twist using a mixture of nuts topped with a brown sugar topping.
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups corn oil
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄4 cups nuts, chopped (mixture of pecans, almonds, walnuts, filberts)
- 2 cups apples, peeled,pared,and finely chopped
BROWN SUGAR TOPPING
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 2 teaspoons milk
- BATTER: Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Grease and flour a bundt pan.
- In a small bowl, combine flour, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat oil, sugar, eggs, and vanilla at medium speed for 3 to 4 minutes until well blended.
- Gradually add flour mixture to sugar mixture and beat till smooth.
- Fold in nuts and apples.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake 1 hour and 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
- Cool on wire rack for 20 minutes.
- BROWN SUGAR TOPPING: Combine butter, brown sugar, and milk in a saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat, cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Spoon hot sugar over warm cake.
- *Storecake in foil or container for a day or two then refrigerate as fresh apples tend to mold easily.
- Bring to room temperature before serving.
My mom has made a version of this cake for years. It's really good. She still gets requests for these every time her church has a bake sale. The only difference in her version is 1 t. cinnamon added with the flour. And yes, this cake just gets better and better the next day--when it lasts that long.
Yum! I made it with golden delicious because that was what I had - even though they are not typically good for baking. This cake has barely had a chance to cool, so it will probably even be BETTER in the morning! Very tasty... Thanks, Caryn!