This is my Grandma Anderson's famous Apple Bar Recipe. My father's favorite! He even has me make them when I visit and freezes them to eat through out the year!
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix the first 4 ingredients for the crust, as you would for pie crust.
- Beat egg yolk in glass measuring cup, add the milk into the cup.
- Pour milk and egg mixture into the other crust ingredients.
- Mix well.
- Roll out 1/2 of the dough.
- Pat into bottom of a 9x13 pan.
- For the filling slice the apples leaving the skin on.
- Place in a big mixing bowl.
- Sprinkle with sugar, flour and cinnamon.
- Mix until well coated.
- Pour evenly over bottom crust in pan.
- Roll out top crust and place on top of apples.
- Beat egg white and brush on top of crust.
- Cut slits in top crust for steam to escape.
- Place baking pan under your 9x13 pan, so you don't get a mess in the oven.
- Put into the 350 degree oven for 1 hour.
- Take out of oven when golden brown and while still warm mix together the sugar and hot water(1 tablespoons at a time) until thick but not too thin for the topping.
- Drizzle over the top of the bars.