Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is my Grandma Anderson's famous Apple Bar Recipe. My father's favorite! He even has me make them when I visit and freezes them to eat through out the year!
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix the first 4 ingredients for the crust, as you would for pie crust.
- Beat egg yolk in glass measuring cup, add the milk into the cup.
- Pour milk and egg mixture into the other crust ingredients.
- Mix well.
- Roll out 1/2 of the dough.
- Pat into bottom of a 9x13 pan.
- For the filling slice the apples leaving the skin on.
- Place in a big mixing bowl.
- Sprinkle with sugar, flour and cinnamon.
- Mix until well coated.
- Pour evenly over bottom crust in pan.
- Roll out top crust and place on top of apples.
- Beat egg white and brush on top of crust.
- Cut slits in top crust for steam to escape.
- Place baking pan under your 9x13 pan, so you don't get a mess in the oven.
- Put into the 350 degree oven for 1 hour.
- Take out of oven when golden brown and while still warm mix together the sugar and hot water(1 tablespoons at a time) until thick but not too thin for the topping.
- Drizzle over the top of the bars.
I consider this my number one find on the internet. Love these! Easy and deeelish!!
this is delicious and very easy to make. for the topping, i used powdered sugar.
My family loved this recipe. Easier to make than apple pie, and also serves more. Will make many times in the future I'm sure. Thank You for sharing this recipe. The only changes I made is that I diced (large) the apples rather than sliced. And I used powdered suger for the topping.