Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Clipped from the newspaper. Easy.
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄3 cup molasses
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon clove
- 1 1⁄4 cups apples, peeled and grated
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- whipping cream (optional)
- Cream together butter and sugar. Beat in eggs one at a time. Blend in molasses.
- Mix flour, baking soda, salt and spices; add to creamed mixture alternately with the milk, beginning and ending with four mixture. Stir in apple.
- Pour into greased and floured 9x9 inch baking pan. Bake in preheated 350 F oven for 45 to 50 minutes, until cake tester inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan for 10 minutes and turn out onto rack. Serve warm with cream if desired.