Recipe by Kater
This recipe has been in my recipe box for years so I'm not sure where it came from. They're a nice, light cookie that is similar to a snickerdoodle.
Top Review by kelli harris
What a yummy cookie! I had plenty of "taste" in mine, and they were very soft and moist. I did have to add more flour, since I was having problems with my dough being too wet and not rollable. I only rolled mine in sugar and cinnamon. I will def. be keeping this in my cookie recipe box! Thanks!
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 large Red Delicious apple, peeled & grated
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream together sugar, shortening & vanilla.
- Add in grated apple.
- Sift together dry ingredients.
- Add gradually to creamed mixture, combining thoroughly.
- *If dough appears slightly dry and doesn't come together, let it sit for a few minutes to allow the sugar to pull the juice from the apples.
- Roll in walnut-sized balls and roll in mixture of 2 Tbsp sugar, 1/2 tsp nutmeg and 1/4 tsp cinnamon.
- Bake 8-10 minutes on aluminum foil or parchment, until cookies are golden brown and appear crackled.
- Let cool on cookie sheet 4-5 minutes before transferring to cooling rack.