Prep 7 mins
Cook 8 mins
Fresh apple and fiber-filled oats: the perfect way to start the day. The ingredients call for old-fashioned rolled oats, but I usually use 5 grain rolled hot cereal (a mix of barley, oats, whole wheat, rye, & triticale). The brand is Bob's Red Mill, but I'm sure any type of mixed grains can be used. Can easily be doubled and switched with another type of fruit as well.
- 1 cup diced apple (1 large apple)
- 1⁄2 cup applesauce
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup old fashioned oats, uncooked
- brown sugar (optional)
- milk (optional) or light cream (optional)
- Combine apple, applesauce, water, nutmeg, cinnamon, and vanilla in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil.
- Stir in rolled oats and cook until oats are cooked (7-10 minutes).
- Serve with brown sugar and milk or cream on the side if desired.
We love oatmeal for breakfast and this was no exceptional. It was more time consuming to make then my normal oatmeal but it was good. Made for Spring PAC 2011.