Recipe by Linda's Kitch
This recipe came from an old premier issue of "For the Love of Cross Stitch" magazine-I'd like to make it sometime.
Top Review by Mouster
I had that magasine and kept it for years just for this recipe which I made several times. Its such a great recipe. Somewhere along the way I lost the magazine and true to form had never copies out the recipe. Thanks so much....this one is a keeper.
- 4 cups baking apples, peeled and sliced
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 3⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
SWEET BUTTER SAUCE INGREDIENTS
- 1⁄2 cup margarine (1 stick)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup heavy whipping cream (1/2 cup canned evaporated milk may be substituted for the whipping cream)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease a 9-inch-by 13-inch baking pan; set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, stir together the apples and 2 cups sugar.
- In another medium mixing bowl, thoroughly combine the flour, soda, cinnamon, and salt.
- Add the flour mixture to the apple-sugar mixture; stir well; set aside.
- Place the eggs into a small mixing bowl and beat well with an electric mixer or hand held egg beater. Add the oil and 2 teaspoons vanilla extract; beat.
- Stir the egg mixture into the apple mixture, blending until thoroughly moistened.
- Stir in the pecans.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly pressed. Serve with warm Sweet Butter Sauce.
- SWEET BUTTER SAUCE INSTRUCTIONS: In a small, heavy-duty saucepan, over low heat, melt the magarine. Add the sugar, vanilla, and heavy whipping cream or evaporated milk; stir. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium-high heat and cook 3 minutes. Serve warm.