Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
I was watching the food network and saw this cake. Looked good so I found it online. Boy I am sure glad I looked for it cause its real good.
- butter, for greasing the pan (I used Pam for baking spray)
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 3 cups peeled and finely chopped apples
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Generously grease a tube pan (I don't have one, so I used a spring pan).
- For the cake--.
- In a large bowl, combine the sugar, eggs, oil, oj, flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and vanilla, mix well.
- Fold the apples, coconut and pecans into the batter.
- Pour batter into the pan and bake about 1 1/2 hours until you have a clean tester (toothpick).
- Right before the cake is done make the sauce.
- Melt the butter in a sauce pan. Stir in sugar, buttermilk, and baking soda; bring to a rolling boil, stirring constantly.
- Boil for a minute. Take cake out and use a skewer or a knife and poke small holes all over the cake.
- Pour the sauce over the cake and let it sit for a hour until the sauce is absorbed into the cake.
- It will look like a lot of sauce, but it does all soak in ENJOY!
This cake is such a big hit with my family. It requires a little work and time so prepare it only when you have a little time to spend on it. You can't stop eating it!
I've been making this cake adout 4 years, Igot it from FoodNetwork, Paula Deen. It is wonderful. Always a hit no matter what function I take it to. You can use the sauce on most any pound cake. Thanks for posting
I've made this cake multiple times and it's awesome!! But then, of course, it's a Paula Deen recipe!!