Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
A delicious way to utilize your apples. I baked this often when my children were little.
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup oleo
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup pecans, chopped
- 4 cups apples, cubed
- Cut apples in cubes, sprinkle with lemon juice to keep from discoloring and mix with 1 cup sugar to make liquid for cake.
- Set aside.
- Cream eggs, butter and remaining sugar.
- Add dry ingredients, and pecans.
- Add the cubed apple mixture.
- Bake in greased floured bundt pan at 350 degrees approximately 1 hour (longer if necessary) until done or inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- May be eaten warm, or cooled and served with ice cream, if desired.
This recipe is almost exactly like the one I have been using for over 30 years! I got the recipe from my Aunt Frances. The only difference is that hers called for 2 tsp. vanilla, and 2 tsp. cinnamon. I need to take a dessert for dinner tomorrow and thought I would see if there were any other recipes on here that were better. I don't think there are!
Like other users, I also cut the sugar down from the original 2 cupst o 1 cup in the batter, and a very miserly 1/2 cup on the apples. I had walnut in the pantry and no pecans - the walnuts worked great! I liked being able to get the apples chopped up and set aside to 'make liquid' while I did a couple other chores before finishing the cake in time to have warm cake after dinner! This was a hit (I like to freeze half - it freezes well, and just get it out the night before you want it and leave it in the counter!)
Really delicious. The longer the cake sits, the better it gets but we didn't let it sit too long before it was all gone. I'll definitely make this again. I like a little cinammon in mine.