Recipe by Acerast
I adopted this recipe...from the reviews it looks like this is a delicious cake, and is especially good the second day. I'd like some input on how long you bake it. Let's give it a try! I'll add this to the great state of Washington where they grow wonderful apples.
Top Review by evelyn/athens
OK, if I had rated this yesterday (the day I made it), I would have given it 4 stars. Today is a different story though, the cake has mellowed and flavours have merged and it cuts so much better! Definitely cut this the day AFTER you bake it. One thing though, as I was mixing the batter up, it kept screaming at me to add some spice. Now I trust Mean's taste, but I do like spice in apple cake and so I did add 1/2 tsp of cinnamon, 1/4 tsp each of allspice and nutmeg, and 1/8 tsp of cloves. It came out very subtly spiced, and I'd go for a tsp of cinnamon next time. Super! Edited to add: it took my oven 75 minutes to bake this, at the recommended temperature)
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups vegetable oil
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1⁄4 cups walnuts or 1 1⁄4 cups pecans, chopped
- 2 cups granny smith apples, peeled and finely chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325.
- Butter and flour a 10-inch bundt pan Sift flour, soda and salt together Beat oil, eggs and vanilla for 3 minutes until well blended, add sugar to combine.
- Gradually add dry ingredients and beat iuntil smooth.
- Fold in apples and pecans.
- Bake until tests done.
- Cool. Serve with caramel sauce.