Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
A fresh apple cake that bakes beautifully, smells wonderful and tastes sinfully delicious! The recipe was given to me by sister who got it from a friend. A great cake for bazaars, fund-raisers, potluck suppers, picnics, or a special family occasion. This freezes very well. NOTE: Gram/ounce measurements are from King Arthur Flour Cookbook
- 236.59 ml dark raisins or 236.59 ml golden raisin (85 grams or 3 ounces)
- 118.29 ml Bourbon (could substitute rum)
- 354.88 ml canola oil (198.6 grams or 7 ounces)
- 2 large eggs
- 473.18 ml granulated sugar (198.6 grams or 7 ounces)
- 3 whole granny smith apples, cored,unpeeled
- 4.92 ml baking soda
- 4.92 ml ground nutmeg
- 4.92 ml salt
- 4.92 ml cinnamon
- 236.59 ml chopped pecans
- 709.77 ml all-purpose flour, sifted (120.6 grams or 4-1/4 ounces)
- 4.92 ml vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray tube pan with Baker's Joy (tm) or grease and flour pan.
- Place raisins in bourbon and micowave on High 25 seconds.
- Set aside to let raisins plump up.
- Put all dry ingredients into a bowl.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine egg and oil.
- Add sugar and apples.
- Mix well.
- Gradually add dry ingredients to make a batter.
- Then add nuts, vanulla, and the raisins with bourbon.
- Mix, but do not over-mix.
- Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake 1 1/2 hours or until toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean.
- Cool 10 minutes or so.
- Remove from tube pan and let cool completely.
- NOTE: You can substitute Bosc pears for the apples, if you like.
This is the best fresh apple cake I have ever made. I didn't have bourbon or rum so used whiskey to soak the raisins. I also used a tart green apple similar to granny smith. It was easy to make and was moist and delicious. Thanks for posting such a wonderful recipe. jeane