Recipe by MA HIKER
A hearty cake good for breakfast and healthy snacking. You can substitute applesauce to replace up to 1/2 cup oil. I also use one cup whole wheat flour with 2 cups white.
Top Review by Crafty Lady 13
Very good recipe for apple cake. I had some applesauce that I had to use up so I used the applesauce in place of the oil. I left out the prunes. This cake goes great with coffee or tea. I am putting this in my "keeper" file. Thanks for a wonderful recipe Ma Hiker.
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 cups vegetable oil
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 3 cups granny smith apples, peeled and chopped (about 3 medium apples)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped (or pecans)
- 1⁄2 cup prune, pitted and chopped (or raisins)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Generously grease a 10-inch bundt pan. Combine the sugar and cinnamon and coat the insdie of the pan with the mixture by shaking the pan all around until the sides and bottom are coated.
- Beat the oil and sugar with an electric mixer until well blended.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- With a spatula, stir in the apples and vanilla.
- Sift together the cinnamon, nutmeg, flour, baking soda and salt.
- Add the flour mixture to the apple mixture to the apple mixture and mix well with a spatula.
- Add the walnuts and prunes. The batter will be very thick.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top.
- Lift the pan from the counter about 2 inches and drop it back down to get out all of the air bubbles.
- Bake the cake for 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 hours, until a tester in the center comes out clean.
- Allow to rest on the countertop for at least 30 minutes before turning out onto a cake plate to cool completely.