Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
This cake is great with a cup of coffee. Sometimes I divide the batter into two 8-inch cake pans and give one as a gift.
- 4 cups apples, peeled and diced
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups white sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 cup walnuts, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter the bottom only of a 9x13-inch pan; set aside.
- In mixing bowl, beat all cake ingredients for 2 minutes.
- Pour into prepared pan.
- In small bowl, combine topping ingredients and sprinkle over cake batter.
- Bake for about 1 hour or when a toothpick inserted in center comes out dry.
- Note: When I make two 8-inch cakes I line the cake pans with foil.
- They don't take as long to bake.
- When the cakes have cooled I remove the cake and foil from the pan then peel the foil off the cake taking care not to disturb the crumb topping.
- This cake also freezes well.
I chose this recipe because it used more apples than most others. I did use half the sugar it calls for as I just felt like that was too much for my liking. I tasted the batter before pouring it in to the dish to make sure and it was plenty sweet for me with 1 cup sugar. I made in a 9 x 13 pan as you mentioned and mine only took 30 minutes to bake - I feel if it had gone a full hour it would have been burnt. I loved the flavor and texture. I adore walnuts in this and most other things. It is especially delicious right out of the oven.
Made this for a family dinner the other night and everyone loved it! All wanted left overs to take home. I did reduce the sugar to a cup in the batter as one reviewer had said. Wish I would have added another half cup or the whole 2 cups. The batter was perfectly sweet but when i baked it the sugar sweetness went down in my opinion. Overall the recipe is great. The cake is super moist. I thought it was even better the next day at room temperature!
Very delicious and moist, I will be making this cake for years to come. Although the next time I will reduce the sugar content in the topping.