Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This recipe is one that should be available at your local Neighborhood Market.
- 1 lb sirloin steak, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄3 cup coconut cream
- 1 cup jasmine rice
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 7⁄8 cup water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons crunchy peanut butter
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne powder
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1⁄4 cup coconut cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons water
- In a large bowl of bag, mix together marinade ingredients and add beef. Allow to marinade 8 hours to overnight.
- In a saucepan, add the coconut cream, water and salt and bring to just under a boil. Add rice and stir. Cover saucepan and remove to low heat and simmer for 15 minutes until rice is cooked and liquid is absorbed.
- Meanwhile, add the ingredients for the peanut sauce to a saucepan and heat gently, stirring occasionally. Take the beef slices and skewer them onto water soaked wooden skewers. Discard marinade.
- Heat oil in large frying pan (if using) and fry skewers about 5 minutes on each side or place over open fire and cook using same time frame. Each side of skewers should be browned evenly.
- Serve with scoop of rice and peanut sauce for dipping.