Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Serve plain or with a garlic and cheese pesto, (recipe included).
Make and share this French White Bean Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 cup fennel or 1 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1 cup peeled and diced carrot
- salt and pepper
- 1 (14 ounce) can low-sodium tomatoes, pureed ed with their juice
- 2 1⁄2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
- 1 (9 ounce) can cannellini, drained and rinsed
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, minced or 1 teaspoon dried basil, crumbled
- 1 tablespoon minced parsley
- 1 tablespoon grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil over moderate heat.
- Add the onion, fennel, carrots, salt and pepper. Saute for 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, stock, basil, and fennel seeds and bring to a boil. Cover, lower the heat, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the cannellini and simmer 3 minutes longer until heated through.
- Meanwhile, if using the pesto, combine the garlic, basil, parsley, cheese, and oil in a small bowl and with the back of a spoon, mash the mixture into a paste.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and garnish each one with a dollop of the pesto.
wonderful bean soup, I also added in 6 minced garlic cloves and 2 teaspoons crushed chili flakes for heat, I love the idea of topping with the pesto, so good! thanks for sharing Julie, made for Carribbean tour/ZWT 5
Wonderful soup! I used celery too and also the pesto (delish!). I subbed in chick peas - didn't have the cannellini beans. I also used an emersion blender just before adding the beans for a creamier soup. Thanks for sharing!
What a wonderful winter warming soup! Really nice combination of flavours and I thought the pesto was a great and very worthwhile addition. I love fennel but didn't have any so went with celery but used double the amount of fennel seeds.