Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
Ooh, la la! A simple recipe for simply delicious, wonderful bread! This versatile, slightly shorter, loaf goes with anything - beef, pasta, chicken, fish - but stands alone with a simple pat of butter, too. This one is bound to become a repeat visitor to your dinner table! From Electric Bread!
- 1 1⁄4 cups water (lukewarm)
- 2 1⁄2 cups white bread flour
- 1⁄2 cup wheat bread flour
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons fast rise yeast or 3 teaspoons active dry yeast
- Combine according to your manufacturer's directions.
- Success Hints: To develop the crisp crust that French Bread is known for, use your French cycle.
- If your machine doesn't have a French cycle, simply start your machine and let it go through the first knead, then stop and restart it from the beginning again.
- This gives the bread extra kneading time and results in a crisp crust.
- Because of the distinctive chewy French crust, it is recommended that this bread is served within 24 hours to avoid toughness.
- This recipe can be made using the regular, rapid and delayed time bake cycles.
Very nice. Has a good crust with a soft fluffy center.It also smells wonderful. It does have a yeasty flavor, and good texture. I changed nothing about this recipe. I set the machine for a 1 1/2 lb loaf. Cheers!
Great Loaf, but NEEDS SALT! I'm trying it a second time with half a tsp salt to see if that works. I also crisped it up in the oven after baking for a short time to make the crust a little browner.
I hated to rate this two stars, but I tried this recipe twice and both times the bread didn't have any flavor for us, it kind of just tasted like water. I am sure that this is something that I am doing wrong, but like I said I tried the recipe twice with the same results both times. However, both times I did have a great texture and it smelled really good. If anyone has any ideas of what I might be doing wrong please let me know, because I think that if I could get this to taste right we would really enjoy it. Thanks!