Prep 25 mins
Cook 0 mins
A restaurant recipe I imitated at home. Simple, honest, delicious. The quantities are not of great importance -- I simply keep to the Zaar format. If you don't feel like cutting the veggies into julienne strips, do it simpler.
- 1⁄2 lb green beans, young, thin, topped and the bunch cut in half
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, in julienne strips
- 1⁄2 cup cucumber, in julienne strips
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons mild coarse grain mustard
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 10 ounces lettuce, mixed variety
- 14 ounces sliced salmon, cold-smoked
- 1⁄2 cup spring onion, green parts only
- 4 lemon wedges, thin
- Parboil the beans and carrots in a small pot in salted water for no longer than 1 - 2 minutes. Drain in a sieve under the cold-water tap, and pat dry.
- Mix the cider vinegar, castor sugar and mustard in a small bowl. With a whisk, gradually beat in the olive oil, and season with a pinch of salt.
- Put the lettuce leaves, torn up if too large, in a mixing bowl. Add the parboiled vegetables and the cucumber, and toss lightly.
- Then toss with just enough dressing to coat the leaves lightly.
- Divide among 4 plates. Top the salads with the salmon slices, each slice folded decoratively.
- Sprinkle with the chopped spring onions and grind over coarse black pepper.
- Add a lemon wedge to each plate. The leftover dressing can be passed around separately.
this was what i was craving. thank you. i was out of green beans, but opted to add bell pepper. would like to try with avocado instead of olive oil next time.