Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
A favorite with my kids and husband. Adapted from Gooseberry Patch's Hometown Favorites.
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup evaporated milk
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8 slices bread
- In a mixing bowl, add the eggs, milk, sugar, cinnamon, and vanilla; mix well.
- I pour the mixture into a pie pan for easier dipping.
- Dip bread into the egg mixture, coating both sides.
- Place coated bread in a well-oiled heated skillet; cook until golden on each side; turn only once.
- Eat as is or dust with a little powdered sugar.
Family loved this French Vanilla Toast!! I used 1 tblsp. sugar, real vanilla and cream (to replace evaporated milk)this made a nice rich mixture. I cooked the dipped bread in melted butter and served with real maple syrup. This is not low fat!! But, oh so delicious!
It was one of those mornings, when you discover there is no milk in the fridge for breakfast! I had a can of evaporated milk in the pantry and made this recipe, using the homemade buns I made yesterday in place of bread. Wow! These were really delicious. Thanks for the recipe.
I'm not a french toast fan, but this recipe has converted me! I loved it and so did my boys 5, & 2.5! I'll be making this over and over, and it's so simple. I've never made french toast before and it was a breeze. Thanks so much for sharing this!