Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
Great ice cream = the best flavoring you can afford. Use the leftover egg whites from this recipe to make berry sherbet.
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 4 egg yolks (slightly beaten)
- 2 cups hot milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla (make sure it is pure and the best you can afford)
- 1 pint heavy cream
- Mix sugar, salt and yolks together in a heavy bottomed pan.
- Slowly stir in hot milk.
- Cook over med.
- heat, continuing to stir until slightly thickened.
- Remove from heat and cool.
- Add cream and vanilla extract.
- Chill and place in ice cream freezer.
- Follow manufacturer's instructions.
I enjoyed the texture of this ice cream. Warning, it is rich! But of course that's what makes it so delicious!
This was a nice creamy ice cream, though a bit on the eggy side. I think next time I'll drop the eggs to 3. I also reduced the cream by about 1/3c.
This was some of the best home made ice cream I have ever made and taisted!