Recipe by gertc96
I got this recipe out of a book called Love Notes to our Moms.... I haven't tried it yet but it sounded wonderful... I love cheesecake and French vanilla... I'll be updated description as soon as I fix it.... Prep time includes time for yogurt cheese and cooking time includes time for cheesecake to set...
Top Review by Lorrie in Montreal
Made for Photo Tag 2008. This is the first time I have ever used a fresh vanilla bean and it was gorgeous! You can see all the tiny vanilla seeds in the cheesecake. :~) The only suggestion I can make is next time I would bake the crust for 5-6 minutes and then let it cool till the batter is ready to pour into it.My crust was a bit soggy but it did'nt detract from the yummy cheesecake flavour.
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- 2 cups fat-free cottage cheese
- 2 cups light cream cheese
- 1⁄2 cup yogurt cheese (See instructions below)
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 vanilla bean
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup unsweetened cherries, frozen
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Yogurt Cheese.
- Wrap Yogurt in cheesecloth and inverting over an open container. Place in refrigerator overnight and excess water in the yogurt will drip to the bottom of the container. The remaining yogurt cheese will be richer and creamier. (You could probably just use yogurt as well).
- Preheat Oven to 325 degrees. Lightly coat a 10in. spring form pan with canola oil.
- In a medium bowl, combine graham cracker crumbs and applesauce. Mix well.
- Press into the bottom of spring form pan and set aside.
- Bring 1 cup water to a boil in a small saucpan. Add vanilla bean and simmer until softened, about 1 minute.
- Remove from water and when cool enough to handle, slit bean lengthwise. Scrape out vanilla bean paste with a knife and reserve.
- In a blender container, puree cottage cheese until smooth.
- In a mixing bowl, combine pureed cottage cheese, cream cheese, and yogurt cheese and blend with electric mixer on high until smooth, about 2 minute.
- Add eggs, one at a time and blend well.
- Add flour, sugar, vanilla bean paste and vanilla extract.
- Blend well and pour into crust.
- Bake for 40 minute
- Turn off oven and allow cheesecake to cool in oven an additional 30 minute.
- Remove from oven and let rest for 20 minute before refrigerating.
- In a medium saucepan, combine cherries and sugar and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until sugar is dissolved and cherries begin to break down, about 10 minute You may need to add a little water to keep from scorching.
- When cheesecake is cold, remove spring form sides and slice into 16 portions. Serve 1 tablespoons of cherries over cheesecake.