Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a traditional Christmas dinner side dish for our family. Make sure that you use rutabaga instead of the white turnips
- 2 cups of mashed turnips (rutabaga)
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1⁄8 teaspoon savory
- salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup of grated cheese
- Blend together the mashed turnip, egg, butter, savory, salt and pepper.
- Stir well.
- Place in a butter baking dish.
- Top with a thick white sauce made with the butter flour and milk.
- Sprinkle on the grated cheese.
- Bake in 400 degree oven for 25 minutes.
This is a wonderful recipe - soft, mild but hearty and elegant. As I had no turnips at home I prepared it with potatoes and carrots and it turned out just great. While I prepared the sauce I put the vegetable mix in the oven, so it could already cook and the time reduced from 1 hour to 40 minutes all together. I am so lucky you shared this recipe with us, this will definitively become a keeper and is comfort food as its best.
Oh-Oh-Oh! What a wonderfull way to serve rutebaga. The savory was so perfect with the rutebega flavor. I used fresh grated Gruyere cheese for the sauce. DH and I ate it all! Thanks Allyoop for sharing your family recipe.
Great recipe! Well seasoned and goes great with my Christmas Tortiere. I have been making this for several years during the holidays, the whole family loves it. Even some relatives that do not like Rutabaga said it was good.