Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
I used to get a tuna and rice salad at a small French bistro and was sad when the restaurant closed. I have been trying to find a similar recipe for years and finally found it from Debra Fioritto Weber. I made a few small changes, such as replacing gherkins with capers and adding tarragon to the vinaigrette.
FOR THE SALAD
- 295.73 ml long-grain white rice
- 3 hard-boiled eggs, coarsely chopped
- 3 medium tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 29.58 ml capers
- 113.39 g kalamata olives or 113.39 g nicoise olives, halved and pitted
- 170.09 g can tuna in water, drained
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
FOR THE VINAIGRETTE
- 4.92 ml kosher salt
- 2.46 ml fresh ground pepper
- 0.59 ml sugar
- 1.23 ml dry mustard
- 2.46 ml Dijon mustard
- 2.46 ml lemon juice
- 4.92 ml garlic, minced
- 36.97 ml white wine vinegar
- 2.46 ml tarragon
- 14.79 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 73.94 ml vegetable oil
- 29.58 ml milk
- Combine ingredients for the vinaigrette and whisk or shake well.
- Cook the rice according to package directions.
- Drain well and while still hot mix with some of the vinaigrette.
- Season with salt and pepper and let cool.
- When the rice is cool, add the remaining ingredients and vinaigrette.
- season with salt and pepper to taste.
I really loved this salad; it is so unique and packs a lot of flavor. The vinaigrette really sets it apart. I would love to make that vinaigrette for a green salad, as well! I made this exactly as posted, except I halved some grape tomatoes rather than using regular tomatoes. Thank you so much for re-creating this great salad. It is ideal to pack and take along for lunch! Made for Spring PAC 2014.