Recipe by Cookin-jo
These hearty sandwiches are full of nutrients and fibre, great for lunch or dinner. They're also lower in fat than the usual grilled sandwich with great Mediterranean flavour. From my local newspaper.
- 6 ounces tuna in water
- 3⁄4 cup hummus
- 1 cup spinach, finely shredded
- 1 cup carrot, grated
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 8 slices multigrain bread
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat milk
- 1 large egg
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Drain tuna.
- Combine tuna, hummus, spinach, carrots and cumin and mix well.
- Make 4 sandwiches with the tuna mixture and the bread.
- Beat together milk, egg, and egg whites.
- Heat 2 large non-stick pans over medium-low heat.
- Carefully dip both sides of each sandwich in the milk and egg mixture, not soaking too much but using up all the mixture.
- Add 1/2 tsp oil to each pan and then fry the sandwiches, 2 per pan, about 4-5 minutes per side or until golden brown.
- If you prefer you can skip the milk and egg mixture and just toast the bread and add the filling.