Recipe by SkinnyMinnie
This sandwich was inspired by the Mozzarella en Carozza, a deep fried Italian sandwich. This one is sauteed, which makes it lighter but no less flavorful. A Sara Moulton recipe. This will make 6 large sandwiches or you can cut them smaller for an appetizer type thing.
- 12 slices homemade-style white bread
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, cut into 12 thin slices
- 24 large basil leaves, rinsed and dried
- 4 ounces prosciutto, thinly sliced
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1⁄2-1 cup dried breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 cup pine nuts, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil (or more)
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 200ºF.
- Place 6 slices of bread on a flat work surface, and arrange 1/2 of the mozzarella on the bread - trim and rearrange as necessary to cover each slice.
- Divide the basil and prosciutto over the cheese.
- Place the other 1/2 of the cheese over the prosciutto, arrange and trim as necessary again to cover.
- Top with remaining bread slices, then trim off and discard the bread crusts.
- In a shallow bowl combine the eggs and milk.
- In another bowl combine the bread crumbs, pine nuts and 1/8 tsp each of salt and pepper.
- Heat 1 1/2 Tbs of oil in a large skillet over high heat until hot.
- Dip sandwiches into the egg mixture, letting the excess drip off, then dip into the bread crumbs mixture. Coat the well.
- When the pan is hot, reduce heat to medium-low and add half of the sandwiches.
- Cook them about 3 min on each side or until they are nicely golden and the cheese has melted.
- Place them in the oven to stay warm and repeat with the remaining oil and sandwiches.
- Cut the sandwiches in half or quarters and serve warm.