Recipe by Tinks
Oh, why not! A good use for eggplant, which can be as frightening as Zucchini! I think the zukes would work too, but have not tried it. From the America The Magestic cookbook.
- 1 large eggplant, peeled and sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green peppers or 1⁄2 cup red pepper
- 1⁄2 cup grated colby cheese
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Brush both sides of eggplant slices with lemon juice.
- Melt butter in large frying pan or skillet.
- Saute 3-4 minutes, turning once.
- Keep firm.
- Add butter as needed, and remove from heat.
- Set aside.
- In a mixer or food processor, mix the onions, cheese, basil, black pepper and cheese to make the topping.
- Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in the pan.
- Top half of the eggplant slices with about 2 tablespoons of filling, then top with another slice of eggplant (an eggplant cookie if you will)!
- Dip each into egg/milk and saute for 2-3 minutes until golden.