Prep 10 mins
Cook 55 mins
Treat your guests or family to a SPECIAL BREAKFAST! Very easy to prepare. The combination of the ingredients are a plus to this entree. If you are cooking for a large crowd, keep cooked toast in a warm oven and top with bananas just before serving. Use firm, but not overripe bananas.
- 3 large eggs
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 12 slices thick bread (day-old)
- 6 tablespoons butter
- powdered sugar
- 3 large bananas, sliced
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons dark rum
- 4 tablespoons maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons water
- For French Toast:.
- In a shallow wide bowl, beat eggs, milk, half and half vanilla, cinnamon and salt.
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in frying pan or griddle over medium heat. While butter melts, soak 2 to 3 slices of bread in batter. Remove bread and let excess drip off.
- Arrange slices in pan, not letting slices touch. Fry one side until golden brown for approximately 5 minutes. Flip over and brown second side. When done transfer to a cookie sheet and keep in a warm oven. Repeat for other slices. Before serving sprinkle with powdered sugar.
- For Rum Bananas:.
- Melt butter over medium heat. When butter starts to turn brown, add bananas and mix gently. Sprinkle brown sugar on top of bananas. Stir until sugar has melted.
- Add rum and cook 1 minute. Add maple syrup and water. Cook until just heated. Remove from heat and use as topping or beside toast.
This was a very tasty treat on a Sunday morning. I cut back on the sugar as we do not like things as sweet as others, and it was still a little too sweet for me, but it was still very good. Used sourdough bread, and made it with fried eggs and bacon. Thanks for sharing!
Wow, talk about a treat. My mom & I enjoyed this tasty dish very much. I did use the dark rum and was really glad that I did. The flavor is incredible. The french toast was quick and easy to make, with great results. I will make this again and again. Thanks very much for sharing. :)
Only made this for spouse and I , but this is a WONDERFUL breakfast that we enjoyed. Wonderful flavorsin this , I did not change anything and would not change in the future. A very easy recipe to make too. Made for AUZ?NZ swap#32.