1/1 Photo of French Toast With Rum Bananas
This recipe comes from Dave Lieberman from the Food Network. Dave says, "The process for making French toast couldn't be simpler - what's going to take yours to the next level is the kind of bread you use. You want to use a bread that's absorbent and airy, but also rich and flavorful at the same time. That's why I like to use fluffy egg breads like challah and brioche, but any fluffy, tasty bread should work well. I like my French toast slices thick, but not too thick or else the middle of the toast won't cook through without the outside getting dry and overdone. You'll run into that same problem if you try to cook your French toast too quickly over high heat. Remember, when your heat's low and you cook slow, you'll get fluffy, moist and perfectly done French toast every time. Spoon on some of the toppings listed below and y'all will be in heaven."
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 pinches ground cinnamon
- 4 slices brioche bread, challah (or any moist and fluffy bread you like(1/2 to 3/4-inch-thick) or 4 slices cinnamon raisin bread (or any moist and fluffy bread you like(1/2 to 3/4-inch-thick)
- 2 tablespoons butter
Orange Rum Bananas
- 1To make the french toast:.
- 2Beat the eggs, milk, sugar, vanilla, and cinnamon together in a mixing bowl until well blended.
- 3Pour the egg mixture into a baking pan large enough to give you room to turn and soak the bread. (A 13 by 9-inch pan works well.)
- 4Lay the bread slices in the egg mixture and let them soak, turning them several times, until the bread has soaked up all the egg. Turn them gently so they don't break apart on you.
- 5Heat the butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium-low heat.
- 6When it starts to bubble, lay the soaked bread in the pan.
- 7Cook, turning once, until the bread is nicely browned and the egg in the center of each slice is cooked through, about 12 minutes.
- 8Serve warm with the Orange-Rum Bananas.
- 9Note: If your skillet isn't large enough to hold all the bread slices at once, cook them in batches.
- 10Before you start your first batch, preheat your oven to 200 degrees F (or "Warm").
- 11Keep the cooked slices warm on a baking sheet in the oven while you cook the rest.
- 12To make the orange rum bananas:.
- 13Heat rum, sugar, butter and orange juice in a large skillet until the butter is melted.
- 14Add the bananas.
- 15Bring to a boil over medium heat, then lower the heat so the sauce is bubbling gently.
- 16Cook until the bananas are softened, about 4 minutes.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for French Toast With Rum Bananas
Serving Size: 1 (251 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 586.8
- Calories from Fat 187
- Total Fat 20.8 g
- Saturated Fat 10.2 g
- Cholesterol 246.3 mg
- Sodium 776.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 79.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.8 g
- Sugars 19.0 g
- Protein 17.0 g