A delicious twist on french toast that can be made-ahead and chilled for up to 24 hours. Great for brunch, holidays, and special occasions.
- 3 medium pears, peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon snipped fresh rosemary
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 14 -16 slices French bread (half-inch slices, about 1 loaf)
- 8 ounces brie cheese, rind removed and cheese thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- Grease a 9x13 baking dish; set aside. In a large skillet cook pears, brown sugar, and rosemary in 2 T butter over medium heat for 4-5 mins or until pears are tender.
- Arrange 7 or 8 bread slices in a single layer in prepared dish. Spoon pear mixture and arrange Brie on bread slices. Top each stack with a bread slice. Brush bread with melted butter.
- Combine sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle evenly over bread. In a medium bowl whisk together milk, eggs, vanilla, and salt. Slowly pour over bread slices. Cover and chill for 1-24 hours.
- Preheat oven to 375°F Bake, uncovered, for 40-45 mins or until edges are puffed and golden. Let stand for 10 minutes. Serve warm with maple syrup, berries, and honey, or cranberry conserve.